Carbon monoxide (CO)



co_2.jpgco.jpg

The carbon monoxide is a colorless gas with no odor coming mainly from incomplete combustion.
The effect of this gas has been known for many years and is directly linked to the hemoglobin in blood. The carbon monoxide is harmful because it is absorbed into the blood and leaves less hemoglobin used to transport oxygen. When a significant amount of carbon monoxide combines with hemoglobin in blood then the commitment of oxygen becomes limited so the oxygen entering the tissues is less.
This problem has become acute in recent years due to the increased number of cars. In cases such as temperature reversals, the concentrations of carbon monoxide increase significantly resulting in frequent headaches and, indoors, combined with incomplete combustion it causes fainting that can lead to death. These cases are more pronounced in people who have some anemia. Smokers also have increased headaches. From its nature, carbon monoxide has no cumulative properties, i.e. they do not accumulate in human organs. However, exposure to high concentrations may have toxic effects.

Back to Air Pollution and Health Problems

sulfur dioxide

nitrogen oxides

carcinogenic substances